I came across a fantastic article yesterday discussing the war between Search Engine Optimization and Pay-per-click Advertising. This is typically a great debate and each have pros and cons.
When reviewing them, SEO generates ‘free’ clicks. In essence, they are not free if your paying for SEO but your not directly paying for each click. PPC on the other hand, you pay every time someone clicks your ad and goes to your website.
Wordstream has a fantastic infographic demonstrating a plethora of statistics and comparisons. Here are some that stood out to me:
- On average the top 3 spots take 41.1% of the clicks – The top 3 are paid ads.
- On average the top organic listing gets just 8.9% of clicks.
- PPC accounts for 64.6% of clicks for high commercial keywords.
- 45.5% of people couldn’t identify paid ads.
- PPC is not affected by Google’s algorithm updates.